Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lulu's Pumpkin Pi Day




Hey all.
Today for pie day I made Pumpkin pie with a little bit of a twist. It is a normal pumpkin pie filling with (the twist) a topping of walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon. The recipe I used is from Epicurious (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pumpkin-Pie-with-Brown-Sugar-Walnut-Topping-355849).

I made a few changes. To the topping I added some honey walnut granola for some added crunch. Nutmeg replaced ginger, because I had no ground ginger and was too lazy to go out to the store. I used a full can of pumpkin puree (probably 1 and 2/3 cups instead of the recommended 1 cup.. though I didn't measure it). I added 1/2 cup of peanut butter to the filling, which might sound weird to you if you don't know me. I love peanut butter and find an excuse to put it into... well everything I can. To make up for this added moisture I only added 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream. I think it turned out really well, despite my not having a pie dish (I used a spring-form pan, sacrilege I know!). It was consumed happily by me and my sister with some vanilla ice cream in front of an episode of the West Wing. This recipe was super tasty and easy. To make it easier you can buy pie crust. Oh... and I found that the pie filling took longer to bake than the 30 minutes suggested but seeing as I am horrible at following recipes to the letter it might be my fault. Anyway this recipe is much recommended and I hope you all enjoyed your Pi Day.

PS: it's a bit sweet.

What's next on my list of things I want to cook? Brown Butter Soda Bread with Tarragon and Black Pepper.

--Lulu

No comments:

Post a Comment