Monday, March 15, 2010

Citrus Circumference



Hello all!

I always love when Pi Day comes around, because it gives me a chance to revel in being a geek, and satisfy my sweet tooth. I wanted to go overboard this year and make a lemon meringue pie… and idea that was rapidly vetoed by my more sane parents. As a compromise I searched for a tangy citrus-y pie that didn’t have the fluff factor of a meringue. By chance, I stumbled across this recipe for a Lemon Chess Pie: http://southernfood.about.com/od/lemonpierecipes/r/bl00510e.htm .

It’s ridiculously easy, with a fast prep time, and everyday ingredients (I didn’t even have to run to the store to find any last ingredient… a pet peeve of mine when it comes to cooking). One lemon is really all you need to cover the entire recipe. You cook it as an open faced pie, and the cornmeal (or the corn flour, in my case) creates a crispy top layer. As I mentioned, I decided to replace the cornmeal with corn flour, just to make it a bit smoother. I also made my own pie crust (or borrowed a part of my father’s Pi Day experiment), which made for a nice flaky touch.

I'm a strong believer in the proverb: "Life is uncertain, eat dessert first", so this accompanied my breakfast this morning... I was riding the sugar wave all day!

Just as a side note: The combination of the lemon and 1.5 cups (~ 301 g) of sugar packs a powerful punch, so you may want to cut the experience with a nice cup of espresso.

Missed Pi Day this year? It comes around every year on March 14th (at 1:59, if you want to observe more digits of this irrational number)… and you can practice with a pie a day following this simple list of pies ranging from classic apple to kooky avocado! http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/217396/52_pie_ideas_a_different_pie_for_every.html?cat=22

Next on the agenda? Daylight-Savings-Time Remedies.

--Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment